We have more than 280 volunteers helping us to deliver our care to the local community. Volunteers help in many different ways:
- Day Hospice: volunteers sit and chat to patients, eat with them at lunch and take part in Diversional Therapies such as quizzes or making models. We also rely on our volunteer drivers who bring patients to and from the Hospice in their cars.
- Family Support Service: our volunteers will sit with a patient to give the family some respite from the responsibility of caring for a few hours. The volunteer can sit with the patient to keep them company, or can simply be in the house in case help is required. Qualified nursing support is available if the patient's condition gives cause for concern, and full training is provided for all volunteers.
- Complementary Therapists: we are very fortunate to have volunteer Complementary Therapists who offer aromatherapy, Reiki, reflexology and more to patients and carers. These therapies can help with pain and symptom relief as well as being relaxing and reducing stress. More than 80% of the Complementary Therapy Sessions given in the Day Hospice are volunteered.
- Bereavement Support: specially trained volunteers are available to visit family members of our patients who have died. They are there to listen and support people through the normal grieving process.
- Shops: volunteers help our shop managers run our shops in Stratford upon Avon, Henley in Arden, Alcester, Wellesbourne, Burton Farm Recycling Centre and Avenue Farm.
- Administration: volunteers staff the Hospice reception desk for us, which involves answering the phone, booking in visitors and selling cards and gifts. They also perform some standard administrative tasks such as helping with mailings.
Volunteers typically work for a few hours one day a week for us and we are grateful for any time that they can give us. Volunteer drivers may claim their travel expenses. Full training is provided with updates on a regular basis. There is a great team spirit and there is usually an evening dance or annual outing for the volunteers.
- Fundraising: volunteers run stalls for us at community events, help at Hospice-led fundraisers or even organise their own events. There is some office based work including helping with raffle administration and mailouts.
We are always pleased to hear from anyone who can give a few hours of their time. For further information on the varied and challenging role of a volunteer, please contact Carole on 01789 266852.
Fri 7 March 2014
We are giving away 15 children’s books an hour to visitors at our Bookshop on Rother ...
READ MORE >